What Is A Homework Contract For Elementary Students?
As a parent, you want to make sure that your child is good in school. The problem is that most of the time, he is not in a rush to complete his homework. You have to negotiate with him, to argue and to waste a few hours trying to convince him to study. You heard that other parents don’t go through the same struggle, because they use a homework contract. What is it? Here is everything you have to know about it:
- It is an agreement between you and your child. You are sick of repeating the same things every time he refuses to complete his assignment, so you will write everything down. At the same time, you have to discuss with him and find out what he wants and needs. You both have to agree on this if you want it to work.
- It will contain rewards and consequences. Now that you know what your child wants, you can easily convince him to study. In the contract you will write what he will receive if he finishes his work in time every week. On the other hand, you will also write what are the consequences of not finishing his assignments.
- It needs your cooperation. This method is used to create a connection between the parent and the student, not to force the student do what he does not want to do. This means that you have to be ready to make some compromises and to negotiate your terms. Maybe you want your child to complete his assignments in the afternoon, but he wants to do it in the evening. Try to reach to good terms.
- It needs to contain solutions. Very often, students have problems that parents don’t notice. For example, your child does not understand Math, so he refuses all the time to work on his exercises. Instead of fighting with him , try to bring a tutor at home a few times per week. He will evolve and understand the lessons, and you will not get angry all the time.
- You will also have responsibilities. Let’s say that your child wants to study, but you watch TV in this time. Even if you like a particular TV show, you have to sacrifice this in order to give him the quiet time that he needs.